YMads.com

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2005

There's something happening here. What it is...

You know, believe it or not, there are times when I feel sorry for George W. Bush. Not so sorry that I don't think in a truly "fair and balanced" world he would be impeached and forced to resign in disgrace--but sorry nevertheless.

The last time was for about a month after 9/11. When most people are alleged to have seen in him a "swagger" and a look of "unshakable self-assurance." But I remember looking at pictures of him at the time, and thinking that wasn't what I saw there. What I saw was a man who was badly shaken (as were we all) with a look saying "Daddy? Daddy! I don't want to do this anymore, daddy! You didn't tell me I'd have to do these things, daddy!"

And now we learn from the Washington Post (via AmericaBlog) that
A president who roamed across the national and world stages with an unshakable self-assurance that comforted Republicans and confounded critics since 2001 suddenly finds himself struggling to reclaim his swagger. Bush's standing with the public -- and within the Republican Party -- has been battered by a failed Social Security campaign, violence in Iraq, and most recently Hurricane Katrina. His approval ratings, 42 percent in the most recent Washington Post-ABC poll, have never been lower.

ETA: Hey, and I missed this (teach me to read carefully), but The Left Coaster heard it loud and clear:
A top Republican close to the White House since the earliest days said the absence of a "reelection target" and pressure from first lady Laura Bush and others to soften his second-term tone conspired to temper Bush's swagger well before Katrina hit. "A reelection campaign was always the driving principle to force them to get things together," said the GOP operative, who would speak candidly about Bush only if his name was not used. He said the "brilliance of this team" was always overstated. "Part of the reason they looked so good is Democrats were so discombobulated." Since the election, this official said, White House aides reported that Laura Bush was among those counseling Bush to change his cowboy image during the final four years.

Ah, the "blame the bitch" school of logic. Firedoglake discusses it a bit here. But to get back to my little fit of compassion...well, just look at these pictures.







Folks, this is not a happy warrior. He looks so small. As I say, none of this in any way means I don't think if he were a true patriot, he would have resigned soon after 9/11. On the grounds that "Who are we kidding? We all know I can't handle this."

Nevertheless, no doubt it's that girly side in me, but I do feel just the tinyest bit sorry for him. Don't worry, it'll pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...