YMads.com

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

When "a woman's right to choose" goes too far

At If I Ran The Zoo, Deborah has an entry in which she seems to cast a mother's response to her daughter being molested by a man she first "met" on the internet...as both sexist & anti-sex, and anti-technology. You can read the entry there and also see a reply that I posted, but i decided I had more to say.

The crux of her argument seems to be that this girl "chose" to have sex with a man in his 40's. As if there is such a thing as consensual sex where a child is involved (tip: there isn't). So the mother shouldn't blame the computer for making it easier for that to happen.

She even seems to blame the mother for taking her daughter's computer away as a result of her actions. Deborah is a parent and I'm not, but...I think that's what I'd do, too. For starters.

Deborah (apparently grudgingly) admits that yes, this man was a pervert. But she doesn't seem to get even half as much exercised about that as she does about the idea that this mother might actually have a reaction to what happened to her daughter.

What's weird is that I agree, in the broader sense, that 99% of those "sex predators on the internet" stories are inflated scare tactics. But in a case like this, where something actually happened...that's a draw a line in the sand moment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...