YMads.com

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Joel Dorn: See you later, alligator

I was sorry to receive word this afternoon that Grammy-winning record producer and general "been there, done that" cat in jazz for over 40 years, Joel Dorn, suddenly died yesterday at the age of 65.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Dorn by telephone about five years ago and I remember him as being a funny, friendly storyteller, which sense you got from his thoughtful and always-worth-reading liner notes, too.

His reissues of artists the likes of Les McCann and Eddie Harris were often among the best, if not the best, music I heard in any given year.

I thought his Paul Desmond compilation was so beautiful that I included a reference to it in the play/screenplay/novel I've been schlepping around.

And I mustn’t forget Aaron Neville's irresistible Orchid in the Storm.

Back when I used to do more music reviewing than I am these days, I could almost always rely upon releases from Dorn's various labels.

Looking it up to include a link here, I was reminded that my review of Dorn's experimental Head Jazz collection was the first I wrote after 9/11; I embraced it like a lover.

His releases introduced me to artists, material and styles that would become musical "friends" of mine. Including Bobby Darin; the Heavy Flute and Have You Had Your Vitamin B-3 Today? collections.

So, thanks a lot, Joel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...