YMads.com

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What did you do?

As you may know, this blog, and this blogger, has had something of a love-hate relationship with Madonna over the years. On the one hand, I've been known to criticize her music as lacking emotional engagement.

That's more her songwriting, tho-I'll go to my grave believing Madonna was always a better interpretive artist than she is creative. Think of the Oscar-nominated "Sooner or Later" from Dick Tracy. Stephen Sondheim wrote it, but I thought Madonna performed it perfectly.

And some of her '80s hit singles are genuinely inspirational in their way, like "Into The Groove" (which I actually think she did write), and most of those from Like A Virgin (which she didn't)

As for her acting, another thing I'll go to my grave believing is that the reason she can't do it is because acting is built upon being emotionally naked whether you are wearing clothes or not, and that's against all the logic of Madonna's career.

Photobucket

I did grow up in the '80s (you noticed?) and sometimes I've thought she actually looks pretty amazing.






I also think she is, for young men of my generation, as much a symbol of the feminine as her namesake.

She's an honest-to-god pop icon. And when she had a body, boy did she have a body.



I do wonder, though: Madonna...what did you do to go from that...to this?

What did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...